Ever since my birthday weekend I have found myself eating out more and not paying attention to the food I am eating. I got lazy and stopped meal prepping for my lunches and dinners, thus eating out sometimes twice a day. Although I am getting my workouts in I can still feel the difference in my body from eating all of the processed foods. Since coming back from Costa Rica I have been focusing on getting more fruits and veggies into my diet, but these past couple of weeks have gotten away from me, so when I got off work early today the first thing I did was head to the meat market and picked up some food for meal preps. I quickly threw together a veggie pasta tonight before dance. I got the original recipe from The Food Charlatan, but made a few tweaks.
Here is what I used and did:
11 oz broccoli
1/2 pound of pasta fusilli
2 hand fulls of spinach
2 tbsp butter
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 whole lemon
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Bring to boil a pot of water
- Cook the pasta until it’s about half way done
- Add in the broccoli and continue cooking until the pasta is finished
- Drain the pasta and return to the pot
- Add in the spinach and stir until spinach becomes wilted
- Meanwhile, while the spinach is wilting, melt the 2 tbsp of butter and then add in the garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute until the garlic is brown.
- Once brown, turn off the heat and squeeze in the lemon juice from the whole lemon.
- Pour the lemon butter sauce over the pasta and mix together.
The Food Charlatan’s recipe calls for Parmesan, but I am trying to eat as little cheese as possible, so I refrained from using it. Also, if you want a little more sauce on your pasta then make the sauce the way the Food Charlatan does. I am trying to keep my food on the lighter side and didn’t feel like it needed more than I used, but please cook according to your desires. I hope you enjoy!